Babies and their adults are gently invited to enter a dark space, where abstract, organic shapes, flexible and easy to handle, are made of light.
The young participants touch, move and interact with the objects, transforming the dark space into ever-changing, glowing scenery. With the children’s currents of creativity, the ebb and flow of the light picture shifts and changes throughout the session. Their exploration and play with the evolving tide of light and sound inspires fascination, wonder and fun.
Light Pickers sees the very young making choices that transform the space, giving meaning to an abstract scene. We see them navigate their way through the darkness as they play and connect with the light – a metaphor for hope and the power of creative minds.
“It’s nice to have an experience where there wasn’t the expectation for me and my kid to sit still and listen.” Parent
- Light Pickers takes place in an indoor, darkened space.
- Babies, children and families choose how they engage with the artists and the space, moving around as they like.
Original Creative Team
- Conceived and designed: Mischa Long, Stefanie Robinson, Glen Walton
- Director: Emily Tomlins
- Creative consultant: Sue Giles
- Production manager, costume maker: Hannah Murphy
- Original cast: Mischa Long, Stefanie Robinson, Glen Walton
Light Pickers was developed through The Generator, the program that expands Polyglot’s artistic voice by inviting our core artists to engage strongly in our vision. The Generator is a long-term commitment to Polyglot’s artistic vibrancy. Light Pickers premiered in 2019 at Abbotsford Convent.
Selected Touring History
- Moomba Festival, ArtPlay, Melbourne, VIC, Australia
- Abbotsford Convent, Melbourne, VIC, Australia
The 2018 creative development of Light Pickers at ArtPlay was supported by the City of Melbourne.
Watch the trailer
View the gallery
Light Pickers is whimsical, engaging and a sensorial delight.
TOT: Hot or Not
Got a question about Light Pickers?
Find a Polyglot show for your venue, festival or event.Explore shows
Boats engages children and their families in accessible play that transforms familiar space into something wild, unpredictable and fun.
Paper Planet is a universally accessible experience that families find utterly captivating.