Ants is an interactive performance which brings children together to explore the landscape around them.
Ants as big as humans work together intently, collecting and placing hundreds of giant bread crumbs, and children are irresistibly drawn closer to find out how they can join in. Gradually a world of meaning unfolds, with children’s movement making lines and patterns, transforming public space and disrupting the everyday. Children choose how they interact with the big insects, becoming Ant-like creatures themselves and taking part in their world. This is an enchanting and unusual experience that everyone can enjoy at their own pace.
“It made you think deeply at little things.” Audience member aged 10
- Ants is a universally accessible experience. The performers do not use spoken language – there is no English language barrier.
- Children and families choose how they engage with the performers and the space, moving around as they like.
- Ants contains amplified sound that is played through portable speakers.
- A general visual story is available here.
Original Creative Team
- Conceived and directed: Sue Giles
- Sound design: Steph O’Hara
- Costume design: Katrina Gaskell
- Original cast: Christian Bagin, Nick Barlow, Dan Goronszy, Emily Tomlins
Ants was originally commissioned by Fed Square and premiered in 2012.
Selected Touring History
- DKS Innlandet (The Cultural Schoolbag), Norway
- PATCHWORK Festival, 10th Theatre Olympics, Győri Nemzeti Színház Hivatalos Oldala, Hungary
- EarthFest, American Museum of Natural History, New York, USA
- Without Walls Festival, La Jolla Playhouse, California, USA
- Cairns Children’s Festival, QLD, Australia
- Des Moines Performing Arts, Iowa, USA
- Music Play Family Festival, Melbourne Recital Centre, VIC, Australia
- Healesville Sanctuary, VIC, Australia
- Madison Square Park, New York, USA
- Xintiandi Festival, Shanghai, China
- Junior International Children’s Festival, Harbourfront Centre, Toronto, Canada
- Long Island Children’s Museum, New York, USA
- Ann Arbor Summer Festival, Michigan, USA
- Glenroy Festival, Melbourne, VIC, Australia
- Warrandyte Festival, VIC, Australia
- Warrnambool Art Gallery, VIC, Australia
- Melbourne Museum, VIC, Australia
- Walker Art Center, Minneapolis, Minnesota, USA
- Breckenridge International Festival of Arts, Colorado, USA
- Ballarat Begonia Festival, VIC, Australia
- Australia Now Festival, Sao Paulo, Brazil
- Walton Arts Center, Fayetteville, Arkansas, USA
- Darwin Festival, NT, Australia
- Seymour Centre, Sydney, NSW, Australia
- Octoburst, Esplanade – Theatres on the Bay, Singapore
- International Performing Arts for Youth (IPAY) Showcase, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, USA
- BLEACH* Festival, Gold Coast, QLD, Australia
- Musikfest, Bethlehem, Pennsylvania, USA
- ASSITEJ Congress, Warsaw, Poland
- Womadelaide Festival, SA, Australia
- Centenary of Canberra, Australia
- Premiere: Fed Square, Melbourne, VIC, Australia
Watch the trailer
View the gallery
Ants was a great success, a huge spectacle and a charming way of inspiring audience involvement. I am sure you also felt the warm reception of the children and their parents. Ants is going to be a long-lasting memory for all of us.
Cziráki Judit, PATCHWORK Festival, Hungary
I had the most delightful experience with the Polyglot team. Everyone rallied together to produce a wonderfully enchanting production for our patrons. Your team brought great enthusiasm and professionalism to each performance… I hope to work with you again in the future.
Madison Square Park Conservancy, USA
The Ants team was a joy, and the children who participated loved it (I know because my own daughters had the pleasure of scampering around with them).
Ann Arbor Summer Festival, USA
Got a question about Ants?
Find a Polyglot show for your venue, festival or event.Explore shows
Boats engages children and their families in accessible play that transforms familiar space into something wild, unpredictable and fun.
Paper Planet is a universally accessible experience that families find utterly captivating.