Invisible Orchestra is an exciting musical experiment where beautiful sounds are created with the body in the most unconventional and hilarious ways.
Created by IO in association with Polyglot
Imagine a game of musical chairs where the music starts when everyone stops. Invisible Orchestra uses chairs as instruments, and just as musicians use their hands to strum a guitar, you are invited to use your imagination – and your bum – to shimmy, squash, bump and bop your way around the orchestra. Coming together as an ensemble, conducted into harmony, you’ll discover a surprising and delightful symphony of sound.
- Invisible Orchestra is an energetic experience.
- It takes place indoors, and assorted sounds and music is played for the duration.
Original Creative Team
- Conceived and directed: Andrew Callaghan, Matt Kelly, Glen Walton
- Creative consultant: Sue Giles
- Sound design: Andrew Callaghan
- Set and costume design: Bridget Milesi
- Original cast: Matt Kelly, Tamara Rewse, Glen Walton
Invisible Orchestra was developed through The Generator in collaboration with IO: Andy Callaghan, Matt Kelly, and Glen Walton. Originally called Musical Chairs, it was first presented at Northcote Town Hall as part of Darebin Music Feast. Invisible Orchestra premiered in 2019 at Arts Centre Melbourne.
Selected Touring History
- Arts Centre Melbourne, VIC, Australia
- Darebin Music Feast, Northcote Town Hall, Melbourne, VIC, Australia
Watch the trailer
View the gallery
Invisible Orchestra went wonderfully well! You gathered a terrific team around the project and it felt like a perfect fit… It’s been an absolute pleasure.
Arts Centre Melbourne
Got a question about Invisible Orchestra?
Find a Polyglot show for your venue, festival or event.Explore shows
Boats engages children and their families in accessible play that transforms familiar space into something wild, unpredictable and fun.
Paper Planet is a universally accessible experience that families find utterly captivating.