Boats engages children and their families in accessible play that transforms familiar space into something wild, unpredictable and fun.
You will find Boats in the strangest of places – on dry land! Children and their families use their imaginations and small colourful boats to go on exciting, sea-faring adventures across the wide-open oceans of town squares and park lawns. There are islands to visit, stranded crew members to rescue, castaways and seagulls. There are times you might need to dodge sharks and steer through choppy water to safety.
Boats is an energetic experience that can absorb children from 10 minutes to hours and hours. Some may wish to rock in calm waters and tell adventure stories; others may wish to zoom around and explore. Children choose how they interact with the Harbourmaster, the crew and the landscape, making this a fun, shared family time that everyone can enjoy.
- Boats is an energetic experience. Children and families choose how they interact with the performers and the landscape.
Original Creative Team
- Conceived and directed: Sue Giles
- Creative team: Michael Baxter, Mischa Long, Glen Walton, Rainbow Sweeny, Jacob Williams
- Original cast: Christian Bagin, Christy Flaws, Lachlan MacLeod, Jacob Williams
- 2020 re-design: Hannah Murphy
- Producer: Rainbow Sweeny
Boats was originally commissioned by Fed Square and premiered in 2015.
Selected Touring History
- Arts Centre Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
- Cairns Children’s Festival, Queensland, Australia
- Without Walls Festival, La Jolla Playhouse, San Diego, USA
- Warrandyte Festival, Victoria, Australia
- Octoburst! Esplanade Theatres on the Bay, Singapore
- Darebin Community and Kite Festival, Victoria, Australia
- Kids ArtyFarty Fest, Heidelberg, Victoria, Australia
- Down by the River Festival, Wangaratta, Victoria, Australia
- Geelong City Council, Victoria, Australia
- Premiere: Fed Square, Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
Watch the trailer
View the gallery
Boats was very well received by our festival attendees and it was a delight to work with Polyglot Theatre again.
La Jolla Playhouse, Without Walls Festival
You never fail to impress me with your professionalism, ability to adapt, creativity and approachability. It really is always a pleasure.
Arts Centre Melbourne
Got a question about Boats?
Find a Polyglot show for your venue, festival or event.Explore shows
Paper Planet is a universally accessible experience that families find utterly captivating.
Invisible Orchestra is an exciting musical experiment where beautiful sounds are created with the body in the most unconventional and hilarious ways.