Paper Planet is a universally accessible experience that families find utterly captivating.
Children and families are invited into a forest of tall cardboard trees and after exploring the space, they add to this strange and delicate planet using only paper, tape and their imaginations. Theatre and play merge in this magical place, as creatures, plants, costumes, characters, stories and adventures spring to life.
Paper Planet grows as more families visit, and every session is truly unique as imaginations go wild. Children choose how they interact with the performers and with other children; some children find themselves absorbed in quiet making, and others prefer to play and explore.
Paper Planet is child-led, deeply involving and highly sensory, and sure to delight the whole family.
“It was amazing. We felt inspired and safe.” Parent
- Paper Planet is a universally accessible experience, there is no English language barrier, and it can be entirely non-verbal.
- Children and families choose how they engage with the performers and the space, moving around as they like.
Original Creative Team
- Conceived and directed: Sue Giles
- Sound design: Madeleine Flynn, Tim Humphrey
- Set design: Mischa Long
- Production manager: Bianca Eden
- Original cast: Mischa Long, Keira Lyons, Stefanie Robinson, Tim Wells
Paper Planet was originally commissioned by Fed Square, Melbourne, and premiered in 2011.
Selected Touring History
- Fed Square, Melbourne, VIC, Australia
- Glen Eira City Council Gallery, Caulfield, VIC, Australia
- Moomba Festival, ArtPlay, Melbourne, VIC, Australia
- Footscray Community Arts, Melbourne, VIC, Australia
- Abbotsford Convent, Melbourne, VIC, Australia
- Ottawa Children’s Festival, Canada
- International Children’s Festival of the Arts, Alberta, Canada
- Bayside Arena, Minami Sanriku, Japan
- Cranbourne Gardens, Royal Botanic Gardens Victoria, Melbourne, Australia
- Shanghai Children’s Art Theatre, Huangpu District, Shanghai, China
- DreamBIG Festival, Adelaide, SA, Australia
- Suzhou Culture and Arts Centre, Suzhou, Jiangsu Province, China
- Huzhou Grand Theatre, Huzhou, Zhejiang Province, China
- Philadelphia International Festival of the Arts, Kimmel Center, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, USA
- New Victory Theater, New York, USA
- Fratz Festival, Berlin, Germany
- Sands Festival & ASSITEJ Congress, Kristiansand, Norway
- Sommerset Festival, Perth, WA, Australia
- International Performing Arts for Youth (IPAY) Official Showcase, Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, USA
- Daejeon Arts & Culture Centre, South Korea
- Darebin Arts Centre, Melbourne, VIC, Australia
- Regional Arts Victoria – Regional Living Expo, Melbourne, Australia
- Arts Centre Melbourne, VIC, Australia
- Casula Powerhouse Arts Centre, NSW, Australia
- Premiere: Fed Square, Melbourne, VIC, Australia
Watch the trailer
View the gallery
For these unforgettable experiences you bring to our audiences and for all that you do to promote the art, the entire Children’s Festival owes you its thanks; thanks especially for your professionalism, your passion and enthusiasm.
Ottawa Children’s Festival
Got a question about Paper Planet?
Find a Polyglot show for your venue, festival or event.Explore shows
Boats engages children and their families in accessible play that transforms familiar space into something wild, unpredictable and fun.
Invisible Orchestra is an exciting musical experiment where beautiful sounds are created with the body in the most unconventional and hilarious ways.