Bees is a joyful interactive work in which children are welcomed into a world of community, communication, wonder and imagination.
Explore a buzzing, humming hive of activity, as three human-sized Bees busy themselves in the creation of a community alongside children who transform into bees as they play. The bees are fascinating, strange and beautiful, traversing invisible pathways and mapping delicate patterns across the performance space.
Inspired by the mysterious life and work of bees, this re-imagining of public space involves the slow uncovering of an intricate unseen world. Children are immersed in the sounds, shapes and scents of the bee world, from their familiar buzz to honeycomb houses. Bees uses ritual, non-verbal communication and the secret world of bee movement to provide a range of access points for children to participate.
“Wonderful. The kids were so engaged. Joyful.” Parent
- Bees is a universally accessible experience. The performers do not use spoken language – there is no English language barrier.
- Children and families choose how they engage with the performers and the space, moving around as they like. Some participants may prefer a gentle experience, others may be more energetic.
- Bees contains amplified sound and music that is played through portable speakers.
- A general visual story is available to view/download here.
Original Creative Team
- Director: Emily Tomlins
- Sound design: Steph O’Hara
- Sound development: Lachlan MacLeod
- Set design: Morwenna Schenck
- Costume design: Nick Barlow
- Costume design mentor: Laurel Frank
- Original cast: Tirese Ballard, Nick Barlow, Lachlan MacLeod, Afsaneh Torabi
- Producer: Rainbow Sweeny
Bees premiered in 2022 at Abbotsford Convent.
Selected Touring History
- SPARK Stages Family Weekend, Surrey Civic Theatres, Canada
- JUNIOR Festival, Harbourfront Centre, Toronto, Canada
- Cairns Children’s Festival, QLD, Australia
- Moomba Festival, ArtPlay, Melbourne, VIC, Australia
- Charlotte International Arts Festival, North Carolina, USA
- BorderLight Festival, Cleveland, Ohio, USA
- Des Moines Performing Arts, Iowa, USA
- Bayside City Council Autumn Fest, Elsternwick Park, Melbourne, VIC, Australia
- King George V Gardens, Rural City of Wangaratta, VIC, Australia
- Premiere: Abbotsford Convent, Melbourne, VIC, Australia
Bees was developed through The Generator, with support from the Victorian Government through Creative Victoria, and the Sidney Myer Fund.
Bees was assisted to tour in the United States by the Australian Government through the Australia Council, its arts funding and advisory body.
Watch the trailer
View the gallery
Got a question about Bees?
Find a Polyglot show for your venue, festival or event.Explore shows
Boats engages children and their families in accessible play that transforms familiar space into something wild, unpredictable and fun.
Paper Planet is a universally accessible experience that families find utterly captivating.