March 16 - March 17 2024
Paper Planet at Segerstrom Center for the Arts (USA)
Paper Planet is a universally accessible experience that families find utterly captivating.
Children and families are invited into a forest of tall cardboard trees and after exploring the space, they add to this strange and delicate planet using only paper, tape and their imaginations. Theatre and play merge in this magical place, as creatures, plants, costumes, characters, stories and adventures spring to life.
Paper Planet grows as more families visit, and every session is truly unique as imaginations go wild. Children choose how they interact with the performers and with other children; some children find themselves absorbed in quiet making, and others prefer to play and explore.
Paper Planet is child-led, deeply involving and highly sensory, and sure to delight the whole family.
“This has been an incredible journey.” Child, age 8
Venue, Session Times & Tickets
- Samueli Theater, Segerstrom Center for the Arts
600 Town Center Drive
Costa Mesa, CA
Dates & times
- Saturday 16 March: 4pm
- Sunday 17 March: 11am, 1pm, 3.30pm
- All tickets are $20. Book now: scfta.org/events/2024/paper-planet
- General access information for Segerstrom Center for the Arts is available here.
- For any access queries, the Segerstrom Center for the Arts can be contacted here.
- A visual story for the Samueli Theater at Segerstrom Center for the Arts is available to view/download here.
- Children and families choose how they interact with the performers and the space.
- Paper Planet is a universally accessible experience. There is no English language barrier, and it can be entirely non-verbal.
- You can come and go from Paper Planet at any time during your booked session.
- Paper Planet incorporates gentle theatrical lighting and a soundscape through speakers embedded in the set.
- A visual story to help your family prepare for the experience is available to view/download here.
How to prepare
- When you come to a Polyglot show we recommend you wear comfortable clothing that allows you to enjoy moving. Remember that you have come for an adventure and there are many ways to begin finding your play. You are curious and this space is yours. Just as you might at the beach, do you take your time and dip your toe in to warm up, or do you run and jump right in? The worlds we set up welcome you to take your time and find your own way to your imaginative play; and our performers are there to join you, or play alongside you, and look after these worlds and their inhabitants.
- For local public transport information, please visit the Orange County Transportation Authority (OCTA) website here.
- The Samueli Theater is outside the Plaza Tower Parking Structure on the corner of Anton Boulevard and Park Center Drive. From the structure, there is elevator access close to the Samueli Theater entrance which is located in the back of the Renée and Henry Segerstrom Concert Hall.
- More parking information at Segerstrom Center for the Arts is available here.
Segerstrom Center for the Arts
Segerstrom Center for the Arts is one of the United States of America’s most respected multi-disciplinary cultural institutions. It is Orange County’s largest non-profit arts organization. The Center remains committed to supporting artistic excellence and offering unsurpassed experiences to engage the community in new and exciting ways through the unique power of live performance and a diverse array of inspiring arts-based education and community engagement programs.