Visibility and reality are blurred in this enchanting forest of sound.
Create your own tinkling soundtrack as you wander blindfolded among hundreds of streaming ribbons with attached brass bells. Children and their families are guided through the space, experiencing sensations of vastness and delicious apprehension. Your senses shift as you roam through this installation, and a whole new understanding of the world is revealed through sound and touch.
At the very centre, blindfolds are taken off to uncover the space in a different way. Come in and delight in an unexpected dreamscape as you play this curious instrument.
“It made me happy. I felt relaxed. My senses got stronger and happier.” Child
- Bellbird is a highly sensory, contemplative experience.
- Audience members will be given blindfolds to wear.
Original Creative Team
- Conceived, directed and designed: Sue Giles
- Sound design: Lachlan MacLeod
- Original cast: Lachlan MacLeod, Jodee Mundy, Aseel Tayah
Bellbird was originally commissioned by Melbourne Recital Centre, and premiered in 2013 at the Music Play Family Festival.
Selected Touring History
- Melbourne Recital Centre, VIC, Australia
- Melbourne Fringe, ArtPlay, VIC, Australia
- Premiere: Music Play Family Festival, Melbourne Recital Centre, VIC, Australia
Watch the trailer
View the gallery
My little girl is vision impaired. I found this so wonderful. Knowing how beautiful the world can be through sound makes me happy.
Surprising encounters, ring of bells, touch of feet to feet, giggles. Open bright space with yellow ribbon, white ribbons, white light, radiating lines. Being lead into the unknown.
Got a question about Bellbird?
Find a Polyglot show for your venue, festival or event.Explore shows
Boats engages children and their families in accessible play that transforms familiar space into something wild, unpredictable and fun.
Paper Planet is a universally accessible experience that families find utterly captivating.