June 28 - July 02 2022
Sound Shadows at Cardinia Cultural Centre
Sound Shadows is a playful, sensory space for children and families to engage with sound, movement and light.
It is a colourful, ever-changing and unexpected world of interactive projection and music.
What will you discover?
In a darkened space, you’ll meet your shadow – clear and sharp – who will be joined by other abstract shapes that become companions, swiftly changing as they react to your movement. The soundscape responds too, swelling and shifting in response to your actions, constantly evolving in tone and feel. As your imagination takes over you might find yourself gently dancing with a jewel-like blob, chasing fast-moving shards of light, or crackling with power as other shadows crouch around you. As more people join the play, the world you have created becomes complex and interconnected as all the single journeys are linked and changed by more bodies in the space.
Sound Shadows is a magnetic experience that sees participants perform extraordinary moves to active response, without self-consciousness or inhibition.
Sound Shadows was developed through The Generator, with support from the Australian Government through the Australia Council, its arts funding and advisory body, The Robert Salzer Foundation and the Sidney Myer Fund.
- For venue access information, please visit the Cardinia Cultural Centre website: cardinia.vic.gov.au/cardiniaculturalcentre
- Children and families choose how they interact with the space. While there is no reserved/specific quiet area, children and families can leave Sound Shadows at any time to have a break, and return either within the session or come to another session.
- Sound Shadows will take place indoors, in a darkened space illuminated with constantly changing projections.
- It contains amplified sound and music that is played through speakers.
- Prams can be parked outside the Sound Shadows performance space.
- Water, infants’ bottles and breastfeeding/chestfeeding are welcome, but we do ask that there is no eating in the Sound Shadows performance space where possible.
- Food and drinks (including takeaway options) are available to purchase from the Vista Cafe in the venue.
- You may also like to BYO food and drinks for a picnic at Lakeside Park before or after Sound Shadows.
Cardinia Cultural Centre
40 Lakeside Boulevard
Pakenham, VIC 3810
Find it on Google Maps
There is free car parking at the centre as well as on-street parking in Lakeside Boulevard and in the shopping centre opposite the complex.
- The Pakenham train line stops at Cardinia Road Station. The train station is approximately 2.1km from the Cardinia Cultural Centre.
- There is a bus stop located directly in front of the centre on Lakeside Boulevard for the Cardinia Transit 926 Bus from Fountain Gate or Pakenham.
Cardinia Cultural Centre
Cardinia Cultural Centre is a state-of-the-art performing arts and function centre located in Pakenham’s Lakeside area in Melbourne’s outer south east. We host some of the most sought-after productions, performances and artists touring Melbourne, as well as smaller community and amateur performances.