March 29 - April 01 2024
Pram People (Hong Kong Edition) at WestK FunFest
A fun and immersive spectacle using the pram to connect communities.
Co-presented and co-produced by WestK and Polyglot Theatre
During the Easter weekend, grown-ups and young children in prams are invited to join a playful, moving and immersive spectacle with the most universal of vehicles – the pram.
Following the success of the Melbourne premiere in 2022, the Hong Kong edition of Pram People marks the work’s international debut. Created by Polyglot Theatre of Australia, in collaboration with WestK FunFest, Pram People (Hong Kong Edition) includes personal stories and experiences of the pram collected from Hong Kong families. During the 60-minute performance, pram users are given prompts through headphones and joined by performers to create a playful spectacle together.
Pram People uniquely fuses the stories gathered into a headphone experience for participating adults, a sensory spectacle for babies, and a visual feast for all spectators. Through this surprisingly moving performance, the pram is redefined as an asset to public space and society, connecting and celebrating communities in an interactive and fun way.
Venue, Session Times & Ticketing
Dates & Times
- 29 March 2024-1 April 2024 (Friday to Monday), 11:00am and 2:00pm. Please arrive 15 minutes earlier at 10:45am or 1:45pm.
- Harbourside Lawn (West) Art Park, West Kowloon Cultural District, Hong Kong
- $100 HKD (1 ticket per pram)
- Each ticket admits 2 adults and 1 child on pram. A maximum of 2 headphones will be distributed to adult participants per ticket for use during the event.
- Book now: westkowloon.hk/en/westkfunfest-prampeople
Notes: This performance is for children who ride in prams and the adults who push them. Please bring your pram to participate. Adult participants will be given headphones to wear.
- Pram People will be performed outdoors, on firm, flat grass, at Art Park, West Kowloon Cultural District. Please check the weather and bring your hats and umbrellas, raincoats and water.
- Participants are invited to move and interact with each other in the venue. Please wear comfortable clothing and shoes.
- Pram People is wheelchair accessible.
- Large bags/suitcases are not encouraged.
- The event venue may change to The Box of Freespace due to unfavourable weather conditions. No prior notice will be given.
- The organiser reserves the right to make changes to the programme without prior notice.
- General access information for West Kowloon Cultural District is available to be downloaded in PDF form here (Art Park Access Guide).
- West Kowloon Hong Kong Cultural District can be contacted here.
- Pram People will take place outdoors in daylight. There will be no bright or flashing lights.
- Adult participants (those who book in) will be given headphones to wear during the experience. This performance contains dialogue delivered in Cantonese and English.
- Event staff will dress participants’ prams with colourful ribbon panels.
- We welcome anyone interested to attend as observers, and watch the colourful spectacle unfold.
- A visual story to help your family prepare for the experience will be available soon.
How to prepare
- When you come to a Polyglot show we recommend you wear comfortable clothing that allows you to enjoy moving. Remember that you have come for an adventure and there are many ways to begin finding your play. You are curious and this space is yours. Just as you might at the beach, do you take your time and dip your toe in to warm up, or do you run and jump right in? The worlds we set up welcome you to take your time and find your own way to your imaginative play; and our performers are there to join you, or play alongside you, and look after these worlds and their inhabitants.
Original Creative Team
- Director: Emily Tomlins
- Choreographer: Martin del Amo
- Composer and sound design: Lachlan MacLeod
- Sound design consultant: Steph O’Hara
- Set and costume designer: Jen Tran
- Design assistant: Jacqueline Tran
- Cast: Nick Barlow, Alice Qin, Afsaneh Torabi
- Production manager: Rosie Pidd
- Stage manager: Kaite Head
- Producer: Julie Wright
Hong Kong edition
- Co-production: Learning and Participation Team, Performing Arts Division, West Kowloon Cultural District
- Collaborating artists: Hollis Ngai, Pisa Lee
- Dalton School Hong Kong
- Lovempathy Academy
- Sham Shui Po District Council Po Leung
- Kuk Shek Kip Mei Community Centre
- TWGHs Tuen Mun Integrated Service Centre
This programme is co-presented and co-produced by WestK and Polyglot Theatre. The original development of Pram People was supported by the Restart Investment to Sustain and Expand (RISE) Fund – an Australian Government initiative, and the City of Melbourne through the Arts and Creative Investment Partnerships fund and ArtPlay. Polyglot Theatre is supported by the Victorian Government through Creative Victoria.
Join the party at West Kowloon’s brand-new participatory arts festival – perfect for families of all constellations
Between March and April 2024, join us at West Kowloon for the launch of our new annual event for the family – WestK FunFest – an inclusive arts festival celebrating creativity and diversity.
The three week-long festival offers a programme of free and ticketed participatory events by local and international artists, and is perfect for families of all constellations. Events take place at various spaces around the Art Park, Freespace and the Xiqu Centre and include one-of-a-kind experiences, art installations and performances, dance parties, hands-on workshops, playgrounds, storytelling and a signature immersive art installation in the Art Park. WestK FunFest is designed to spark the imagination and ignite the senses. Bring your family and friends, join the party, and be inspired!