March 30 2023
Feast at Shepparton Art Museum
Feast is a meal like no other, inviting children to make gastronomical delights from a pile of most unusual ingredients.
Presented with Shepparton Festival for SAM at Sunset
A long table is set with a white cloth, paper plates, and a centre piece of paper flowers. The ingredients are all in place. Children are invited to fill their imaginations on creating the dishes of their dreams – food fit for a top restaurant, or a very hungry punter. Gradually the table starts to fill – stringy string pasta, tomato cellophane sauce with a spray of green fabric basil, paper pizza, tissue sushi. Waiters impeccably dressed in black and white hover to encourage and assist, writing up the mouth-watering menu.
This installation lets children play with materials other than food to make truly delicious, and sometimes really horrible, culinary creations.
FREE – no ticket required. Families are welcome to drop in at any time during the session.
- Shepparton Art Museum
530 Wyndham Street
- Feast will take place indoors on Level 4 as part of SAM At Sunset.
- A visual story for this workshop can be viewed/downloaded HERE.
- Children and families choose how they interact with the performers, the workshop space, and the materials.
- You can come and go from Feast at any time during the session. Some families might like to stay for 10 mins, others an hour.
- Feast does not use bright or flashing lights or amplified sound.
- Polyglot Theatre staff and artists are trained in disability and cultural awareness.
How to prepare
- When you come to a Polyglot workshop, we recommend you wear comfortable clothing that allows you to enjoy moving. Remember that you have come for an adventure and there are many ways to begin finding your play. You are curious and this space is yours. Just as you might at the beach, do you take your time and dip your toe in to warm up, or do you run and jump right in? The worlds we set up welcome you to take your time and find your own way to your imaginative play; and our performers are there to join you, or play alongside you, and look after these worlds and their inhabitants. See you soon!
- Water, infants’ bottles and breastfeeding/chestfeeding are welcome, but we do ask that there is no eating in the Feast workshop space where possible.
- From Melbourne: Take the Tullamarine Freeway and Western Ring Road out to Melbourne. Turn onto the Hume Freeway, followed by the Goulburn Valley Highway through Seymour and bypass Nagambie into Shepparton. Time: 188 km – 2 hours
- From Sydney: Take the South Western Freeway out of Sydney down to the Hume Hwy. Travel the Hume Hwy through Wodonga into Benalla. Turn onto the Midland Hwy and follow to Shepparton. Time: 735km – 9 hours.
By public transport
- V/line trains and buses run numerous times a day from Southern Cross Train Station in Melbourne to Shepparton. For travel information and up-to-date timetable, visit the V/line website or phone 1800 800 007.
- Balfours Airport Director is a small regional business which offers a dedicated airport shuttle service between Shepparton and Melbourne’s Tullamarine Airport, twice a day, seven days a week. For more information on timetables and fares to purchase your ticket, visit the Airport Direct website.
- Buses and taxis operate a regular service throughout Greater Shepparton. Local bus timetables are available from the Greater Shepparton Visitor Centre, while taxis can be booked by calling (03) 5822 2214.
Shepparton Art Museum
Shepparton Art Museum
- Shepparton Art Museum (SAM), located on Yorta Yorta Country, is one of Australia’s outstanding regional art museums, showcasing our exhibitions and collections in new and exciting ways and creating a welcoming, inclusive and engaging space for all audiences. Artists are central to our work. Our programming is designed to be locally relevant and engage with global contemporary ideas. SAM is recognised for its significant Australian ceramics collection, and our nationally significant collection of Indigenous art. As the only public art museum in Greater Shepparton and north central Victoria, our mission is to present great art in Shepparton, and to contribute to the cultural enrichment, community engagement and economic prosperity of the region.
SAM At Sunset
- In our new, expanded format, SAM will stay open until 8pm on the last Thursday of each month to give you an evening of art, creativity, drinks and music. Join us for SAM at Sunset on 30 March. From hands-on, creative workshops to illuminating exhibition tours and live music. SAM at Sunset is a full museum experience!