June 24 - June 25 2023
Bees at International Festival of Arts & Ideas (USA)
A joyful interactive work in which children are welcomed into a world of community, communication, wonder and imagination.
Explore a buzzing, humming hive of activity, as three human-sized Bees busy themselves in the creation of a community alongside children who transform into bees as they play. The bees are fascinating, strange and beautiful, traversing invisible pathways and mapping delicate patterns across the performance space.
Inspired by the mysterious life and work of bees, this re-imagining of public space involves the slow uncovering of an intricate unseen world. Children are immersed in the sounds, shapes and scents of the bee world, from their familiar buzz to honeycomb houses. Bees uses ritual, non-verbal communication and the secret world of bee movement to provide a range of access points for children to participate.
Polyglot Theatre is working in partnership with Inlet Dance Theatre to deliver this season.
Venue & Session Times
- Between Temple Street & Church Street, New Haven, CT
- Saturday 24 June: 11:15am, 1:15pm, 2:30pm, 4:30pm
- Sunday 25 June 25: 11:15am, 1:15pm, 2:30pm, 4:30pm
- Children and families choose how they interact with the performers and the space.
- Bees does not include any bright or flashing lights.
- Bees contains amplified sound and music that is played through portable speakers.
- A visual story to help your family prepare for the experience is available to view/download HERE.
How to prepare
- When you come to a Polyglot performance, we recommend you wear comfortable clothing that allows you to enjoy moving. Remember that you have come for an adventure and there are many ways to begin finding your play. You are curious and this space is yours. Just as you might at the beach, do you take your time and dip your toe in to warm up, or do you run and jump right in? The worlds we set up welcome you to take your time and find your own way to your imaginative play; and our performers are there to join you, or play alongside you, and look after these worlds and their inhabitants. See you soon!
International Festival of Arts & Ideas
Our mission, as set by our founders, is to create an internationally renowned festival in New Haven of the highest quality with world-class artists, thinkers, and leaders, attracting and engaging a broad and diverse audience celebrating and building community and advancing economic development.
There is a powerful synergy that happens when authors, scientists, and leading innovators are presented alongside outstanding artists. Our founders believed, as we do today, that when great ART and big IDEAS come together, we heighten our ability to understand and imagine.